Breastfeeding Health Benefits for Mom
There are so many breastfeeding health benefits for moms that we want to share some in honor of National Breastfeeding Awareness Month this month! This month helps support, empower and educate women all around the world on the rewarding journey that is breastfeeding. We all know that breast is best, but did you know that breastfeeding provides unparalleled immunological and anti-inflammatory properties that protect Mom from a host of illnesses and diseases? There are also economic and environmental benefits to breastfeeding as well.
Breastfeeding Health Benefits for Mom
- Decreased risk of cancer (breast, ovarian and uterine cancer): Several studies have found the risk of breast cancer to be higher for women who have never breastfed. Similarly, the risk of ovarian cancer was found to be 27% higher for women who had never breastfed than for those who had breastfed for some period of time. According to many medical experts, exclusive breastfeeding and a longer duration of breastfeeding are associated with better maternal health outcomes.
- Decreased risk of cardiovascular disease: Breastfeeding helps moms lose weight postpartum. Moms who maintain a healthy weight are at a lower risk for developing Type 2 diabetes. Breastfeeding moms also tend to have a higher ratio of "good" (HDL) to "bad" (LDL) cholesterol. These three factors can help a mom keep her heart healthy.
- Decreased risk of Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Swedish study found that women who breastfed for 13 months and more were half as likely to get Rheumatoid Arthritis compared to those who never did.
- Lower Blood Pressure: Systolic and diastolic blood pressures fall during a breastfeeding session and pre-breastfeeding blood pressure decreases during the first 6 months in a homelike environment.
- Get back in shape: Breastfeeding burns calories (up to 500 per day) and enables your body to still produce pregnancy hormones which will stimulate contractions to help shrink the uterus. Breastfeeding also helps you to get back into shape quicker as the extra fat stored during pregnancy is used to make breast milk.
- Families who follow optimal breastfeeding practices could save more than $1,200–$1,500 in expenditures for infant formula in the first year alone.
- Fewer insurance claims and less time off from work due to better infant health
- Lower overall medical costs. If 90% of U.S. families followed guidelines to breastfeed exclusively for six months, the United States would save $13 billion annually
Environmental Benefits of Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding does not require containers, paper, fuel to prepare, and transportation to deliver, and so it reduces the carbon footprint by saving precious global resources and energy
Because at UpSpring we are moms ourselves we know firsthand that breastfeeding can have its own set of unique challenges. We strive to help our breastfeeding moms conquer and meet their breastfeeding goal! For moms looking to help increase milk production, our Milkflow family of products provide mom with all natural and innovative Fenugreek options. Milkflow drinkable breastfeeding supplement, available in Berry, Citrus or Chocolate flavors, helps promote and support a healthy breast milk supply. We also made a 100% Organic Coconut Oil Nipple Balm to naturally soothe sore, cracked nipples. For moms wanting a little more support, we offer the one of a kind, Wellmom Breast Support Pillow to make breastfeeding more comfortable and allow mom to nurse hands-free.
At UpSpring, we always look forward to National Breastfeeding Awareness month. Our Milkscreen home test to detect alcohol in breast milk was one of the first products we launched. Ten years later, with ten million test strips sold each year we continue to expand our breastfeeding offers for moms. We want to recognize National Breastfeeding Awareness Month because we believe it truly showcases the beauty of breastfeeding and helps provide additional support that all breastfeeding moms deserve.